Description: This is my first attempt at segmented turning. The base of the bowl is made of wenge and the layers made from segments of purpleheart, tulipwood and rosewood. Each layer is a different diameter to reduce the amount of wood that is turned away.
Wood: Purpleheart, tulipwood, rosewood and wenge
Status: Not for sale
Size: 18cm diameter by 5cm high
1. Each layer is built up from 12 segments of hardwood comprising three different colurs.
2. The layers are glued and held in place using double sided tape.
3. each layer is established with a different diameter meaning different length segments are used in the circle
4. The base is fixed in the lather chuck and then successive layers glued on and turned.
5. The smaller layers are glued to the base first
6. The result is very effective and shows off the different wood grains
7. Side view showing the layers